UFC Housing Programs
With the proper support and guidance, a job and a place to live, former foster youth can make a successful transition to adulthood.
It doesn’t happen magically when they turn 18. However, we have a unique opportunity and, in fact, a responsibility to provide foster youth ages 18-23 with the support that will allow them to prepare for independence. In Pathways, we do this by surrounding them with positive role models, creating enduring relationships, challenging them to better themselves and providing them with the safety net of a service-enriched transitional living program.
The weekly two-hour long sessions bring youth together for interactive discussions and exercises on a wide range of subjects, including: goal setting, budgeting, career situations, apartment hunting, civic participation, personal hygiene, and interview skill building.
“Financial First” Series includes classes on:
- Money Management
- Basic Interviewing Skills
- Basic Contracts
- Buying & Leasing Cars
- First Home Away From Home
“Real Life” Series includes classes on:
- Dressing properly for employment
- Apartment Hunting
- Healthy Eating
- Stress Management
- Sexual Health
Female/Male Breakout Sessions
Held every other week, these sessions give participants an opportunity to explore sensitive subject matters in gender specific group settings. A variety of subjects are covered including:
- Recognizing the importance of choosing your circle of friends
- How to recognize the difference between positive and negative friends
- How to disassociate oneself from negative relationships
vs. General Outcomes for Foster Youth
85% of UFC active Pathways Alumni
are in stable housing
36% of foster youth
are homeless within 18 months of leaving care
67% of UFC active Pathways Alumni
51% of foster youth
are unemployed within 3 yrs of leaving care
Caring for others and giving back to the community is key to the success of our program youth.
- Each year Pathways residents participate in Big Sunday's Day of Volunteering
- They volunteer each year at UFC’s College Within Reach event
- Pathways hosts an annual Easter egg hunt and Halloween party for Whittier community residents