This event is for students in foster care from 6th to 12th grade.
Students under 15 years old must attend with a chaperone.
COLLEGE WITHIN REACH WILL BE HELD RAIN OR SHINE.
Students & Chaperones
CLICK HERE to register.
OR download & complete the Registration Form HERE.
Interested in Volunteering? CLICK HERE to register. For more details see below.
For questions, contact us at email@example.com or 213-580-1850.
Saturday, February 9, 2019
10 Chester Pl, Los Angeles, CA 90007
9:30am to 2:30pm
Opening Session will begin promptly at 10:30am . Register by 2/4 to receive transportation! Free parking will be available.
Download our Flyer
9:30 – 10:15: Breakfast & Registration
10:30 – 11:00: Welcome & Keynote Speakers
11:15 – 12:10pm: Session 1
12:10 – 12:20: Break & Transition
12:20- 1:15: Session 2
1:15 – 2:45: Lunch & Fair: 25+ Colleges, Universities and Foster-Youth serving Community Organizations
Info and FAQs
Does a chaperone need to come with me? Yes. If you are under 15 years of age, a chaperone must accompany the student to the event. Chaperones are welcome to attend our caregiver and service provider workshops or stay with students in their sessions.
Have a Table at our Resource Fair
CLICK HERE to Register your organization for the Resource Fair!
College and Resource Fair Representatives (12:30pm – 3:00pm)
Join colleges, universities, middle schools, high schools, and community resource agencies at our CWR Resource Fair. Resource Fair participants will engage with young people (6th – 12 graders) and their caregivers. During the fair Resource Fair participants will share information and answer questions about their school or organization.
- TABLING: Resource Fair tabling will occur in the afternoon (1:15 p.m. to 2:45 p.m.)
- CHECK-IN: 12:30pm and 1:00pm.
- MATERIALS: Participants are encouraged to bring handouts, promotional materials, and giveaways.
- SET-UP: Tables and tablecloths will be provided by United Friends of the Children although participants are welcome to bring additional signage.
CLICK HERE to register to be a volunteer!
Day of Event Coordination Team (Shifts vary from 7:30am – 3:30pm)
We are looking for volunteers that love to keep the day flowing. Some key responsibilities for this team include and are not limited to:
- EVENT SPACE SET-UP: help with signage, classroom set-up, table clothes, decorations, etc.
- REGISTRATION: check-in event participants and volunteers for the event.
- DIRECTING TRAFFIC: helping participants and fair reps find their event destination, directing students to classrooms during transitions, direct people to restroom locations, etc.
- FOOD DISTRIBUTION: breakfast and/or lunch distributed to students, volunteers, and staff.
Middle School Group Volunteer (outdoors/indoors) (10:30am – 1:45pm)
Interested in working with middle school students while engaging in college themed, fun activities? Well this is the volunteer opportunity for you! Volunteer responsibilities include:
- MIDDLE SCHOOL GROUP HOST- LEAD* a small group (about 10 students) through various college themed activities. We are looking for 10 host.
- *LEAD: Help students engage in the activities, ensure students are hydrated, walk students to restrooms, help manage behaviors by partnering with UFC staff, etc.
- ROTATION ACTIVITY FACILITATION: run a college themed ACTIVITY* (5 times for 20 min rotations) for 4 groups of middle school students. We are looking for 8 station leads.
- *ACTIVITY (Previous activities from the past): mock college course planning, college spirit face painting, cornhole, Sorority/Fraternity step/dance, athletic games.
High School Workshop Host (10:30am – 1:45pm)
Are you looking for a supportive role that helps bring workshops to life? Then this is the volunteer position for you! Volunteer responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- WORKSHOP ROOM SET-UP & BREAKDOWN: bringing materials to the room, moving around chairs and tables, putting up decorations or materials in the classroom, etc.
- ASSISTING STUDENTS: help keep students engaged and involved by prompting students to ask questions, addressing restroom needs during presentation, etc.
- ASSISTING THE CLASSROOM PRESENTER: pointing out students that have their hands raised for the classroom presenter, passing out materials, etc.
- *Hosts will receive presentation materials to support the presenter and may be asked to co-present during the workshop if you feel comfortable. Content Presenters are responsible for presenting the content.
High School Workshop Content Presenters (10:30am – 1:45pm)
Are you someone that’s comfortable presenting to large groups? Then this is the perfect volunteer role for you! We are looking for someone that can present on the subjects below with enthusiasm. Prior knowledge to FAFSA, College applications, or Scholarships is preferred but not required.
- UNITED FRIENDS WILL PROVIDE CONTENT FOR YOU TO FACILITATE unless discussed prior.
* Please note that Resource Fair reps that are also presenting will only be able to present during session 1 (11:15am – 12:15pm) to allow time to check-in for the Resource Fair at 12:30 PM.
Media Release: When you attend College Within Reach, you enter an area where photography, audio, and video recording may occur. By attending the event, you consent to photography, audio or video recording, and its/their release for non-commercial purposes.