Duties and Responsibilities:
• Providing individual coaching to current and former foster youth, 6th to 12th grade, that focuses on positive youth development, social justice, and academic and career success. Services provided in the youth’s homes, schools, or remotely through video or phone calls.
• Providing intensive coaching to middle and high school youth struggling in school or needing increased support with motivation and/or social-emotional wellness.
• Engaging in regular communication with caregivers to encourage support for youth’s goals and to provide additional resources as needed.
• Conduct bi-annual assessments and goal planning with youth to support with educational goals, overall youth development, goal setting, and goal achievement.
• Support in monitoring and encouraging students’ academic progress in support of their educational goals.
• Refer students to community-based support services, mental health services, and enrichment opportunities as needed.
• Track and document all service efforts in United Friends’ database.
Group Workshops and Events
• Act as a lead facilitator and/or participant in the execution of youth development, academic, and career exploration workshops.
• Support in planning and coordinating workshops and/or other program events.
• Attend community-building events to establish and maintain relationships with Education Program youth.
Advocacy and Navigation
• Engage Social Workers, ILP workers, and/or other system partners to support and advocate for youth in maneuvering systems in which they are involved, and to encourage youth’s overall goals and positive development.
• Cultivate relationships with community partners, and serve as a liaison/advocate among them to increase awareness of youth’s needs and to support youth success.
• Connect youth to UFC supportive resources as needed and when appropriate, such as tutoring, financial assistance, etc.
• Connect youth with summer internship and job opportunities.
• Connect youth to other opportunities for contribution and social action as they are offered within UFC, with UFC partners, or with other organizations.
• Analyze caseload outcomes and trends, and work with the Education Department team to improve program model and service delivery.
• Continually expand and update professional and technical knowledge within the education, foster care, and case management fields.
• Participate in team, department, and organization-wide meetings
• Other duties as assigned.
General United Friends Responsibilities
• Act as a role model within the organization to uphold and implement United Friends’ organizational values:
o Embrace program evaluation that leads to excellence and impact.
o Build effective and empowering partnerships with the youth and community.
o Create a fun and exciting environment that inspires learning and innovation.
o Communicate openly, honestly and with humility across all groups.
o Work together as one organization.
• MA degree in a related field
• 3+ years of relevant experience, including 1 or more years of case management and/or positive youth development experience
• Demonstrated experience working with youth in foster care, and/or underserved middle/high school youth
• Commitment to social justice and the whole-person-development of youth
• Balances multiple competing priorities
• Establishes and cultivates respectful relationships with people from diverse backgrounds
• Holds self accountable, sets high expectations for self and others, works both independently and collaboratively, and relates tasks to organizational values
• Conveys thoughts and ideas clearly, listens well, communicates in a solution-oriented manner, and incorporates others’ views into work
• Passionate about United Friends’ mission
• Has a reliable personal automobile and valid CA driver’s license
• Effective Spanish speaker